Wednesday, July 8, 2009

An Utterly Impartial History of Britain: (or 2000 Years of Upper Class Idiots in Charge) (John O'Farrell)

A surface recount of British history since Roman times. Meant to be funny but it tries a bit too hard. Irritating at first, and I wouldn't have carried on if it hadn't been recommended by a good friend. After a while the style settles down a bit and it becomes readable (or I got used to the style), and in fact occasionally amusing. Few surprises and I don't feel that I can remember the less interesting things any better than before reading it.

The one point it does make that stuck in my mind is that the 'Glorious Revolution' might equally well be referred to as 'the last time Britain was successfully invaded'. In the sense that if the King had fought and won, it would certainly be referred to as 'the last unsuccessful invasion attempt'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers